Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw Ups 'r Us.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:07:27 -0700

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> Tell us about your biggest, worst, most enlightening, whatever,
> photographic screw up.    Might save some of us from doing the same.<<<<<<<<

Rick,
I've screwed up more than I want to confess but I have had a few
hummers! ;-)

My assignment was to photograph the Governor General of Canada with his
grandsons and a huge decorated Christmas tree at Rideau Hall where the
GG lived. The picture was for a Christmas news release by a National
News agency and if I did a good job it meant I'd have a full time
position on their staff!!   Cool shoot.

So more hung on this assignment than just getting the picture. I arrived
early to look the site over and had everything ready when the GG and the
boys arrived.  Everything went like clock work, kids were great, GG was
happy looking with the grandsons. I was tickled pink and as excited as
all get out!         Perfect shoot, no sweat, new job here I come. :-)

Souped the film and  ...*&%$@#$%&*())*&^%$ FLASH!!!! wasn't synched
properly! :-(

Now some of you understand why I hate flash so vehemently!   Panic
panic! Assignment screwed-up, new job before I got it was gone in the
flash of an eye!

Get calm, phone the press secretary...." I blew the shot can we reshoot?
 Like right now immediately?  If the GG doesn't give me another chance I
wont get the new job."  Whine and whine, near tears, plead plead, I got
a wife and three kids etc. etc.   Christmas !

Good guy GG  says OK get right over here.  We  reshoot and it was so
static, just so damn miserable looking and the expressions were
absolutely nothing compared to the exciting time we had doing it the
first time.  Re-staging a great shoot never looks the same.

Did I get the job?  Nope!  They never mentioned it nor I.  As I knew
they knew I had screwed-up "Royally!"    Only in the face of the Queen's
Royal Representative you say?   Pity!

Since this screw-up?  If at all possible and I can make successful
photography by available light, I shoot only available light! ;-)  Yep
and I've screwed a few of those and had to reshoot using flash!   Hey
you can't win 'em all.   Life's like that. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Screw Ups 'r Us.)