Subject: Re: [Leica] Oppinions on Leicaflex + SL + SL2
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:20:11 -0500

Richard,
You should know that mirror lockup on the first Leicaflex was only
implemented so that early lenses w/o much backfocus could be used on the
camera.   Redesigned lenses eliminated the need for mirror lockup on the SL
and SL/2.

All Leicaflexes have a very sophisticated (and expensive) crank arm control
mechanism that slows the mirror down before it reaches the end of it's
travel.  Consequently, it really doesn't need mirror lockup to control
camera vibration (unlike many other SLR's).

In my experience, the SL and SL/2 are far less effected by vibration than
any of Nikon F's that I've owned.

The best of the Leicaflexes is the SL/2 and it works best with wideangle
lenses because it has a split image rangefinder.   Next is the SL which is
usually much cheaper and works well with slow, macro or telephoto lenses.
It's got an amazingly bright viewfinder.   The original Leicaflex has a
clear glass screen which cannot be used for focusing except for a central
focusing circle.

It sounds like the SL is your best bet.   Also, don't underestimate the
value of  the terrific spot metering systems in the SL and SL/2.