Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:53:21 +0100

Of course not me!  I bought my M6 to use and I spend a lot of time with it
to understand it's capabilities and to understand my capabilities.  I'm not
sure about the rationale behind this thread regarding people spending a lot
of money and not using their cameras, or at least not making good use of
them, as well as people who can take better pictures with a cheap
(relatively) plastic camera.  If they can afford a Leica they can do what
they want with it, in the sound knowledge that there are those who will do
better with lesser tools because they possess more talent.

An example.  I also collect watches and my favourite is a Breguet, the Leica
of watches and arguably the finest timepieces in the world (some would say
Patek Phillipe).  Why do I want a Breguet?  Because every part is made and
assembled by hand by people who dedicate their lives to producing something
of special value.  Because they epitomise the watchmakers art and I have
immense respect for anyone who can assemble over 400 parts to make a
timepiece of incredible accuracy.  Could I tell the time just as well with a
casio quartz for £20?  Yes, of course, but it doesn't command the respect
that I have for the excellence of the design, the quality and dedication of
the makers, and the beauty of the end result.

Why did I want a Leica?  For the same reasons.  I could probably do just as
well with a cheaper camera but that would not give me the feeling and
fascination that I get with the Leica, and the fact that owning a Leica has
opended up a whole new world of knowledge for me, from learning new
techniques to the fascinating history of how the cameras came into being.

Holding a Breguet and holding a Leica instill the same feelings.  Using both
does not mean I am a better person, or that I can tell the time more
accurately or take better pictures than the next person.  It does mean that
I am prepared to spend the money to own something within which I can sense
the dedication and craftsmanship that went into its making.

I suspect those that are being regarded as wasting their money or nor making
good use could have bough Leica for the same reasons.  What we need to do is
encourage them to use their cameras, to look through them and not just look
at them.  Only then will they truly sense the meaning of owning a Leica.

Sorry to rant on in a reply to you Mark, but its late and I wanted to throw
in my £0.032 ($0.02) ;-)

Simon

> Simon Lamb wrote:
> >
> > Mark Rabiner wrote
> >

> > > Lets face it many of us have our Leica's as a trophy camera. We feel
more
> > > comfortable with it on the mantelpiece than in our hand. We trust our
AF

Message from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Message from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)