Subject: [Leica] zen photography [was: impurities in lens, or some other nonsense]
From: Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:12:54 +0200

>Yep, you've stumbled upon a little known secret outside Leicadom: their
>lenses are full of crap and impurities.  Actually, the more full of rubbish
>they are, the higher the price they command.  Their lenses are not actually
>ever meant to be placed on a camera and used for photography, and since the
>impurities only show up when light travels through the lens, it has no
>effect on their real, intended use: to be placed in a hermetically sealed,
>climate-controlled, glass collectors case.
>[sniiiiiiiip]
>M.

actually, i knew this all along, and i admit that it was one of the reasons
i 'bought into' the leica system. heck, anybody can produce a clean lens
and charge good money for it, but it takes a *real* company to produce
crud-filled optics with shitty hoods and $95 caps that fall off when you
look at them, and sell them for 10 times what the competition charges for
the same thing!

and - in response to a few recent threads - to protect my investment, i
never clean the optics and i leave the cap on at all times! i don't miss
pictures cause i never take any! it's the ultimate way to go - zen
photography: if a picture happens in front of you and you leave your lens
cap on and *don't* shoot it, is it still a picture?

ho!

guy