Subject: Re: [Leica] impurities in lens
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:59:51 -0700

Chris Lee wrote:

> I went to a local Leica dealer today where I was looking at many of their
> lenses. I noticed almost all of the lenses, which were supposed to be brand
> new, showed some very tiny "impurities" in the glass. These looked like very
> fine particles suspended inside the glass elements. Although they were only
> visible at certain angles in very strong lighting, I couldn't help but
> wonder what they were. Can someone tell me if these lenses are defective? Or
> these things are supposed to exist in every lens, good or bad?<<<<<<<<

Hi Chris,
Don't be a nervous nellie about little "impurities," simply because if
you hold any lens at the right angle to the light you'll find what you
think are "impurities."  They're not and at one time the "real old time
photographers" looked for "bubbles" in the glass of a lens, as that was
a mark of a better lens.

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: impurities in lens)