Subject: Re: [Leica] Lieca QC--a joke?
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:35:39 -0700

Martin,
I wrote the message that seemed to kick off this most recent rash of QC
threads.  While I agree that some people get a little carried away in those
discussions, the fact remains that for some reason a fair amount of
defective M6s seem to be making thier way to dealer shelves.  I was really
surprised to see all the comments about misaligned RFs on new bodies!

I don't think that demanding precision from a high-end product such as the
Leica is unreasonable.  It's true that paying a high price for a product
doesn't make one immune from manufacturing defects, or shipping damage.  But
as a legendary producer of fine equipment that touts quality of design and
construction above all else (and charges for it), Leica should hold itself
to a higher standard than the mass producers.

The unfortunate truth is that Leica no longer has the wherewithal to support
the majority of working professionals.  The customer base is increasingly
made up of wealthy amateurs, who have little tolerance for the kind of
initial quality problems and glacial repair times we're seeing.

A few posters commented that the reason for the long repair turn around
times is the limited number of people on staff to do the work.  Know what?
Not the customer's problem.  Six to 9 months is just too long for a lens to
be in the shop, period.  Either they need to improve QC or deal with the
defective/misaligned products quickly.  You shouldn't have to write letters
to the CEO of a company just to get a new product serviced under warranty in
a reasonable timeframe.

- --Jim Laurel