Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures of Cosina lenses on cameras?
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 07:04:08 2000

Isaac:

A lot of people made 1.5 Sonnars and copies:
50/1.5 Jena Sonnar LTM
50/1.5 Opton Sonnae LTM (more rare)
50/1.5 Jupiter-3
50/1.5 Voigtlander Nokton
50/1.5 Canon/Serenar

All are about the size of your average 50/2 rangefinder lens and take 40-40.5mm filters.

Of these, I have replaced others on this list with the Canon 50/1.5 which is a very nice lens, but a little more durable (and heavy) because it is brass and not aluminum.  Very sharp, although they are getting very tough to find.  Expect to pay abut $250 for one with minor cleaning marks.  The Voigtlander is brass too, but out of sight.  The 50/1.5 Russian Jupiter is not bad, but cleaning marks are endemic with them.  The Jena Sonnar is roughly the same as the Jupiter, and the Opton is very expensive in LTM.