Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-rays and film inspection
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:30:20 -0400

I understand also that those powerful x-ray machines for *checked*
baggage are smart enough to deal with lead bags on thier own.  If they
find an x-ray opaque object they just keep cranking up the power until
they can see through it, which ruins your film worse that not having the
bag in the first place.

I have camera bags with the detachable film pouches that I ask to be
hand inspected.  Normally, no problem.  However, I imagine when there is
a terrorist alert the guards might be more insistent on getting even
film pouches scanned.  This is in the USA.  Some foreign countries
always scan film, even if high speed.  There seems to be no really good
solution, only to do the best you can with hand carried film.