Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:29:39 -0700

Vick Ko wrote:

> Does anyone out there shoot with a Leitz UV filter on the 21mm ASPH lens?
>
> I'm thinking of buying the E55 filter for the lens, and just looked at
> the
> mounted lens shade.  If I imagine an E55 filter mounted on the lens,
> it looks like it will interfere with the lens shade mounting ring.
>
> Is this true?  Does anyone out there shoot with the 21mm ASPH lens,
> with a UV filter and the lens shade mounted?
>
> I'm from the school of "scratched or dirty filter is cheaper than
> scratched or dirty front element".
>
> TIA
> Vick

This is such a long running on and thank goodness off thread that it has become
a major joke here on the list welcome to the LUG Vick!
Check the archives there is reams of stuff. I think you'll find you are in the
slight minority opinion on it though!!
Most (not all) of the better photographers here on the list will clean a lens if
it is dirty and not foul-up an excellent optical formula with an needless extra
piece of glass on the front: Leitz or no Leitz.
To me it's like plastic seat covers on furniture  and it's the summer and I'm
wearying shorts and my thighs are a little sweaty and I stand up real fast and
there is a zipping noise. THAT's what I feel when I see UV filter on a work of
art of a Leica lens.
I've had dozens of lenes over dozens of years and never scratched one! (but lost
huge chunks of my thighs)
Mark Rabiner
UV filters are an abomination against wonderfulness!

Message from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> ([Leica] UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?)