Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:29:04 -0400

> Doesn't anybody understand the simple part of the optical physics of
> light/glass/lens design?

> I mean the obvious, hit you in the face, pretty hard to ignore, potential
> problems with the use of ANY filter.

Perhaps, you can show us a (scientifically done?) study you did (or anyone
for that matter) that shows this supposed problem?  It would be nice if it
was with a Leica lense, shade and either a Leitz or Heliopan filter...

I am sure one can specifically setup a particular situation to show this
purported 'problem', no doubt, but more than likely, it will hardly be
something that happens, in reality, that is of any significance.

In 25 years of professional photography, and many tens of thousands of
images, I have NEVER seen any of my images (noticeably) degraded by using a
filter.  I tend to do quite large enlargements too.  I have a UV filter on
each one of my Leica and Hasselblad lenses.  No matter how much YOU (or
anyone else) 'believe' this is 'wrong' (more blasphemous than wrong, I
would guess), I know that none of my images have ever been degraded (that I
have noticed anyway) by using a UV filter, and my proof is in my, well,
proofs.

The poster said up front that he basically didn't care if anyone LIKED his
using a filter or not, just was there one...  Some people can get their
panties all bunched up about this subject.

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: UV filter)
Reply from "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?)