Subject: FW: [Leica] A Holiday Rerun
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:57:55 -0600

- ----------
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:54:27 -0600
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: [Leica] A Holiday Rerun

I've received some e-mails asking me to repost the following, first sent
last Christmas season. I've replaced a few names of folks not currently
participating in the LUG with others who are, and have added a couple of
lines referencing (what I found to be, anyway) one of this year's silliest
discussions. Otherwise, it is the same.

Best holiday wishes to all. And especially to Brian Reid for providing this
wonderful forum.

'Twas the Night Before a LUG Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the LUG
We each took our Leicas and gave them a hug.
Stockings were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes a new Summicron soon would be there.
Spouses were nestled all snug in their beds
As "No more money on lenses!" danced through their heads.
I sat at the computer to read one more post
Made to the list I enjoy reading the most,
When out on the roof there arose such a clatter
I sprang from my keyboard to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutter and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Made me think what a great shot my Leica could show,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a minature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick.
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
The shot of a lifetime, as he looked out so nice.
Back to the computer. I needed advice!
"Are you there, Marc? And Lucien?" I typed oh so quick.
"Help me Harrison, Roger, Erwin, Eric!
Tell what you would use, Ted. Which lens would be handy?
I want to capture great shadows, like Tina Manley.
Any thoughts from you, Alastair? B.D.? Hans? Dan?
If any can help me, I know the LUG can!"
Bill was first to respond. "Just between friends,
I'd use an M6 with a Summilux lens."
"The 35 'Lux!" wrote Eric. "It's my go-getter!"
"Use the 'Cron," wrote Erwin. "My tests show it's better."
"One moment," wrote Ted. "Let's cut straight to the crux.
We're talking low light. You need a Noctilux."
"You'll want distance," Marc wrote, "so he won't know what's next.
I'd use a long lens with a Visoflex."
"Use an R8," wrote Pascal. "It meters just right."
"But M finders," wrote Duane, "will see into the night."
"Use an M with no plastic," Don R. wrote, "and be wise!"
To which the rest of the LUG just rolled their eyes.
"What else?" I then posted. "It can't look out of kilter."
"Then," wrote Jim Brick, "don't use a UV filter."
As I looked up from the screen, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes, how they twinkled. His dimples, how merry.
A 75 Summilux! This scene it would carry.
So I grabbed my M6 and looked through the viewfinder,
Then took two quick shots thanks to Tom's Rapidwinder.
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
St. Nick looked at me. "What's that?" he said.
"My camera," I answered. "Your photo I took."
"No you didn't," he said. "There was no flash...I looked.
And nary a sound. It is broken, alas.
I'll leave you a new one. A Pentax, perhaps?"
"No, it's fine. It's a Leica," I said. "It's the best.
"Fast lens and it's quiet. With you I'd not jest."
"Let me see that," he said. "Is it easy to use?"
"Set exposure and focus," I said. "You can't lose."
"My picture?" he asked. "It will turn out? You know?"
"And," I did tell him, "have that Leica glow."
As St. Nick touched the camera, his heart it did race.
When one falls for a Leica: That look crossed his face.
"My gift list must change!" he said, touching his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose.
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"An M6 for all, and to all a good-night!"
I peered out my window, then yelled like I was daft,
"And with each body please bring us a 35 ASPH!"

To everyone on this terrific list: May all of your holiday wishes come true.

Larry