Subject: Re: [Leica] Political Correctness
From: Sonnar502@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:55:16 EDT

Hi folks

First off, let me apologize for my awkward reply: as I'm temporarily computerless, I have to do this on WebTV via the internet AOL site.  But I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of the fluff....

Speaking of "fluff," I have to second what Barney was saying.  I think the concept of "political correctness" has gone out of control.  Without going into a whole diatribe on why I say that, let me just point out it's nobody's business how you "see" your subjects.  This is exactly why I don't endeavor to be a "professional" photographer: you wind up having to take someone else's pictures, not your own.  Now, hopefully, the two visions can merge and the bills get paid.  But often they don't.  It seems to me that there must be _someone_ out there in Publishing Land who can appreciate what you and your Leica have to say.  Having spent so much time in Latin America (including Honduras) that Im not even allowed to give blood anymore, I definitely hear your comments on why involving these families won't work.  Most, in my experience (except in Costa Rica) can't spell their names when you ask them, let alone write a treatise on their "condition."  It gripes me to no end when I hear h!
ifalutin people even here in the SF Bay Area expound on this, that and the oterh thing and give give their ideas on the state of affairs there when they themselves have never even BEEN there or even talked to someone in Spanish!

OK, a little off topic, but I'm with Barney: what "they" are saying _is_ bunk.  My impression of you is that these people are indeed near to your heart and that you've certainly spent enough time tre to have at least a good idea on how to compssionately depict what you see.  Somebody's always gonna gripe...  I'm curious as to what it is that the project organizers or whoever think is un PC.  From my obscure viewpoint, I just don't get it.

Hope I haven't offended you or anyone, Tina!  It's just that I feel if they want the actual Hondurans to take the pictures, why did they ask you about it in the first place??

Scott Green