Subject: Re: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:17:59 -0700

Jim Kish wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to have more of a hand in processing my black and white photos, but don't have room for a full-on darkroom. I'd be happy to be able to process and print contact sheets for now, leaving the final printing to a local b&w lab. So, I have 2 questions...are there decent film processors available (I hear "Jobo" mentioned) that allow one to process in one step?
>
> Second, is there such a thing that will produce a contact print with a minimum of cost/space?
>
> Reply personally if this is not of interest to the group, but I promise to use a Leica producing the images...;>
>
> -Jim Kish

I and many people have made prints in closets, small bathrooms and laundry
areas.
Some people define "darkroom" as a room with a sink...and of course no view.
... A room with a sink at night.
Develop,
stop,
fix,
wash
That's four 8x10 trays, 40 inches or 3.33 feet across. 101 centermeters.
A plank across a bathtub is a popular contrivance.
I recommend trays.
The horizontal method of printing.
For "laundry" you have
second fix
rinse
selenium toner
hypo clear
wash
That's five trays across I guess, but not a big deal to do it right.
And then you will still have to option to do fiber.
Can't do fiber in no damn Jobo!
Mark Rabiner