Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm vs. 19mm R lens
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:32:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/00 4:21:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
krieger@rcf-fs.usc.edu writes:

<< Does anyone have experience with the 24mm vs. the 19mm lens for the R, in
 terms of how it feels, so to speak.  I know there is a different angle of
 view, but does it matter much?  Are there advantages in image quaity with
 the 24mm?  (Currently I use the 21mm Super Angulon R.)

 Martin
 krieger@usc.edu >>

Definitely a difference in the look of a 19 vs 24.  Not a lot, but still some
difference 19 vs 21.  It's been a while since I fooled around with Leica R
equipment, but I remember being quite disappointed in the 24 vs my Nikon 24
(by comparison the 21 Super Angulon was as good wide open, just not as fast,
and with more light falloff, as the 20/2.8 Nikon).  I handled the 19 in a
store but the one then was enormous, heavy, with an 82mm filter and a hood
the size of a hat box.  It would have turned heads but wasn't something I
wanted to carry around.  The latest one I know nothing about except that it
has built-in rear filters, no provision for a front-mount UV to protect what
must be an obscenely-expensive-to-replace front element, so I wouldn't
consider purchasing it.  Best way: run film through both of them.

Doc