Subject: Re: [Leica] Two cultures
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:07:25 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/00 6:13:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
imxputs@knoware.nl writes:

<< We have since the earliest of times two cultures: one is committed to
 find the truth by reasoning and fact finding disregarding ones own ideas,
 and the world of science is full of people who, confronted by facts, had to
 restate theories and revise opinions. >>

As a scientist I have to point out that while this statement does hold truth
it is also misleadingly naive.  The world of science is also full of
highly-credentialed people who accept only the facts that support their own
hypotheses and argue vehemently that the facts that seemingly contradict them
are the product of flawed method and unreliable data.  To the lay public the
decision frequently goes to whichever proponent has the more persuasive
communication skills.

Doc