Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:06:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/00 12:01:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tedgrant@home.com writes:

<< Excuse me?

 Me old son you're messin' with the wrong guy big time.  I speak from 50
 years experience and a well published track record and it doesn't take
 some smart ass making light of another's years of experience with the
 theory drivel you have been pushing. >>

I have never heard of either Ted Grant or Miro Jurcevic, which is *not* to
imply that they're nobodies.  But regardless of their qualifications these
two individuals have both temporarily lost their objectivity on what
consititutes a productive discussion and might consider taking a brief
time-out to regain perspective.
I am not a well-published photographer, but I do belong to NANPA and I've met
a large number of big-name well-published wildlife and nature photographers
who use 35mm SLRs and long lenses and though they disagree about many things
they all cite from their combined years of experience that some form of
steady camera support is essential to obtaining the sharpest publishable
images.   Judging by the number of monopods (and some tripods) I've seen on
the sidelines at sports events, it looks like those pros (the other group of
long-lens users) generally prefer some form of support for long lenses also.
 Mirror lock-up and cable release are tools many landscape and macro
photographers use, but few wildlife photographers find practical, as would
seem to be the case with sports.  Most of those pros believe from experience
that even with a support, some body contact is a help in absorbing those
vibrations, and advocate keeping the left hand resting on the lens/tripod
axis and the face pressed into the camera.  It could be possible for some
individual to have such a well-developed, well-balanced neuromusculoskeletal
system that he could handhold a long lens with no disadvantage over an
inanimate support.  Perhaps Mr. Grant is one such individual.  I do wonder if
he could maintain this supportive posture for an hour or two waiting for a
subject to strike just the right pose.  That's what wildlife photographers
are often faced with.

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!)