Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 14:03:20 -0700

CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:

> I have never heard of either Ted Grant or Miro Jurcevic, which is *not* to
> imply that they're nobodies.  But regardless of their qualifications these
> two individuals have both temporarily lost their objectivity on what
> consititutes a productive discussion and might consider taking a brief
> time-out to regain perspective.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cool!  Don't feel bad, I haven't heard of you either, so that makes us
even. ;-)

I agree and if we didn't have an "idiot", not my term,  Miro's on
himself, who babbles ridiculous theory drivel without any real working
and shooting time about hand holding etc. this conversation wouldn't be
taking place.

> I am not a well-published photographer, but I do belong to NANPA and I've met
> a large number of big-name well-published wildlife and nature photographers
> who use 35mm SLRs and long lenses and though they disagree about many things
> they all cite from their combined years of experience that some form of
> steady camera support is essential to obtaining the sharpest publishable
> images. <<<<<<<<<<<

That's true for nature/wildlife guys and gals as they sit in a blind for
hours on end with the camera locked on their subject and I doubt there
is a human being around who can do that. Nor foolish enough to even
attempt it.

However lets not write off nature shooters as only tripod/mono
photographers, our own LUGGER Doug Herr for one,  who hand holds 400 mm
and 560 mm Leica lenses and photographs birds on the wing! Try that from
a tripod!

> the sidelines at sports events, it looks like those pros (the other group of
> long-lens users) generally prefer some form of support for long lenses also.<<<<<<

Been there done that.  By the way at the Olympics and most international
sport events, tripods are not allowed. Period!  They take up too much
space in relation to the number of photographers covering the events.
"No tripods" has been in effect, certainly since '68, when I covered my
first Olympics in Mexico.

Today we see many using the monopod. However, if one is a Leica SLR user
you can use a micro switch equipped pistol grip/shoulder brace tubular
stock with connection to the motor drive which totally eliminates both
monopod or tripod.

It does unfortunately drive the Queen and Prime Minister's security guys
around the bend when you point it in their direction, certainly with a
280 mm attached. :-) Oh and by the way, during a visit of the President
of the USA to Canada a few years back,  I was grabbed very quickly by
his Secret service guys and wrestled to the ground.  Fortunately I was
saved from major damage by the Mounties who came to my rescue. :-)
jeeeeesh your guys are touchy! ;-)

After that VIP visit the shoulder brace, stock & pistol grip were put
aside during Presidential visits.  Or in war zones!

well-developed, well-balanced neuromusculoskeletal system that he could
handhold a long lens with no disadvantage over an
inanimate support.<<<<<<<<<<

It is possible, as my number 2 son who is a sports photographer shoots
his international figure skating while hand holding a 400 2.8 Canon
manual focus lens. Even the SI shooters are surprised when he's shooting
beside them. But he works out with weights regularly, so he has extreme
upper body and arm strength. So it is possible if one is serious about
their work technique.  However, on occasion he does work with a monopod!

If you'd like to see some of his photography try ,  http://www.cyberus.ca/~fsgrant/

> he could maintain this supportive posture for an hour or two waiting for a
> subject to strike just the right pose.  That's what wildlife photographers
> are often faced with.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I responded to this above, thank you.

Since some of you folks do not work in similar photo careers, I can
accept why you don't understand how we work in our day to day
photography and have done so for many years. We make it sound so easy,
while you who have not experienced it, see only difficulties from what
you read or see on the surface. And some think we BS the facts when in
reality, it is reality!

What I take umbrage with, are those without working experience or
lengthy time as an advanced amateur,  making light of information
garnered through years of experience and passed along so others may
learn from it, hopefully making their photographic lives easier and more
rewarding with better photography.

We who work at this wonderful medium of photography are very fortunate
and I for one swore 48 years ago when learning,  asked a pro of some
stature about a small detail and I was brushed aside like some moron,
(might have been then) that if I ever went anywhere in the field of
photography, I would never ever deny anyone information about
photography if I could possibly assist them in being a better photographer.

So maybe some of you will understand why I get a little off the deep
end,  when some person comes along and makes ridiculous comments about
tripods, mirrors slapping up and shutter curtains colliding, with
breezes moving the camera creating ineffective images..

If you cannot see, that when I post something it is with the goodness of
intention, then so be it. That's your problem and indicates you're much
wiser than I in the ways of photography.  Good on you and I wish you well.

I've never at anytime indicated I'm perfect and I'd be a bloody fool to
do so, hell I learn something new photographic every day from the
LUG/LEG and I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect.  But whatever I've
done as a photographer during 50 years has always been with integrity
towards the craft of photography.

Thank you

ted

Replies: Reply from chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson) (Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!)