Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 14:42:47 -0700

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 2:03 PM

> Today we see many using the monopod. However, if one is a Leica SLR user
> you can use a micro switch equipped pistol grip/shoulder brace tubular
> stock with connection to the motor drive which totally eliminates both
> monopod or tripod.
>
> It does unfortunately drive the Queen and Prime Minister's security guys
> around the bend when you point it in their direction, certainly with a
> 280 mm attached. :-) Oh and by the way, during a visit of the President
> of the USA to Canada a few years back,  I was grabbed very quickly by
> his Secret service guys and wrestled to the ground.  Fortunately I was
> saved from major damage by the Mounties who came to my rescue. :-)
> jeeeeesh your guys are touchy! ;-)
>
> After that VIP visit the shoulder brace, stock & pistol grip were put
> aside during Presidential visits.  Or in war zones!

A passing bus backfired during a presidential speech here, and the Secret
Service wrestled it to the ground.

I was dithering around Northern Ireland a couple of summers ago during some
demos around the marching season, and a photog from one of the Belfast
papers showed up with a 400 mm to get a shot of the leader of a loyalist
paramiltary group, who was chugging around a pasture on his Harley. The
photog was careful to make sure all of the cops and the British Army types
on the scene knew who he was, what he was doing, and what he was doing it
with, so he didn't get blown away in the mistaken belief he was shouldering
a RPG launcher.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? NOW Miro talent!)