Subject: Re: [Leica] anyone using 24mm
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 16 Aug 2000 04:50:17 -0700

On Wed, 16 August 2000, "Barry Dinan" wrote:

> To anyone using 24mm for your M6:
>
> I'm wondering if you have ever experienced a problem with composition that
> compares to one I have recently experienced?
> I recently composed a shot in the cabin of a small fishing boat.  I framed
> the shot using the clip on viewfinder.  The skipper was in the foreground
> looking through the cabin window.  Through the window was another boat which
> I centered up in the window which the skipper was looking through.
> However, when the contacts were developed I found to my surprise that the
> boat seen through the window in the background was not centered in the
> window as I had composed it.  The boat was in fact mostly blocked out by the
> skipper who was in the foreground.
> i.e. I seem to have experienced a problem when composing with the 24mm on
> the new M6 ttl.  What's in the clip on viewfinder is not always what's on
> the neg!  I'm quite worried about this and I will be running some tests on
> this.  It seems that the foreground can eclipse the background.......  I
> should add that the camera was also held 'sideways' for this shot.
>
> Barry Dinan

Barry,

This sounds like a classic parallax error problem.  The error is most noticable at close distances.  It will happen any time you are not using an SLR camera.  The trick is to be aware of it and compensate by shifting the camera slightly after composing to line the lens up with where the viewfinder was when you composed.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.