Subject: [Leica] OT: Photos of Glyndebourne
From: "Bob Walkden" <bobwalkden@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:07:08 BST

Hi,

1st, for all those who are on more than one of these lists, please accept my
apologies for the duplication of this message.

I went to Glyndebourne on Friday and took photos in the grounds during the
long interval. For those who may not know what Glyndebourne is, it is an
opera house in an English country mansion in Sussex. They hold a summer-long
festival of opera each year. Scenes from the long interval are a classic (or
cliche, depending on your pov) of English photography.

I'm trying to trace one of the better-known photographs, which shows a group
of people in formal evening wear, eating a picnic by candlelight with a
field full of sheep in the background. I have at home many, many photo books
which I've searched unsuccessfully for the shot this weekend. I have found
photos by Cartier-Bresson taken during the interval, and also by Ian Berry,
but neither is the one I'm looking for. I'm sure the photo is by another
Magnum photographer.

Can anybody help me with this, please? Either the name of the photographer,
or one of the books in which it's printed, or both, please.

Thanks,

Bob