Subject: Re: [Leica] Glasses and viewfinder (was: Question: wich M6TTL to choose?)
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:41:49 +1000

Jean-Claude Berger is thinking about 0.72 and 0.85 viewfinders.

My thoughts:

The 0.72 is more versatile but the 0.85 is better for 90mm lenses.  For
50mm and below, the 0.72 is the way to go, and it's still fine with a 90.

I do notice flare differences between the two finders.  The 0.72 has a
more immediate onset of flare once your eye moves off centre.  The 0.85
has a more gradual flare effect and I therefore find it more difficult
to be aware of when my eye is off centre with this body.  And I feel
that this might cause occasional focus errors on my behalf, thereby
reducing its higher magnification advantage to some extent.  With the
0.85 some of the advantage of seeing what's going on around the picture
area is lost.  I particularly notice this when using a 50mm.

I wear glasses, but put a dioptre lens on the viewfinder for heavy duty
picture taking events.  It's fun seeing the world become clear again
through my Leica.

But both work well.  They have different personalities and you get to
know them with consistent use.

Regards

Rick Dykstra

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: [Leica] Glasses and viewfinder (was: Question: wich M6TTL to choose?))