Subject: Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.
From: Ebert Steele <K5cad@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:17:03 -0700

I believe Shelby is a Ms.  not a Mr. My memory fails me often now. But I do seem
to remember a great story done about her in Camera and Darkroom or Darkroom and
Creative Camera Techniques a few years ago. I still have all of those old issues
and will look it up when I have time.

She uses a Linhof Technika and shoots a lot of "bare bulb" flash as well as
available light. The story was fascinating with accounts of her winning the
confidence of the Appalachian people so she could shoot freely among them. Some
of the pictures are spell-binding.

Even though the formats are different, there is a subtle quality about Tina
Manley's  work that is strikingly similar. That is she can tell their story and
share their plight in a dignified rather than denigrating way.

In one of her stories she talked about searching for a way of lighting that would
compliment her style.  A fascinating photographer. I won't rest now until I find
that old issue and see how much of that I didn't remember correctly.

Ebert Steele

Replies: Reply from "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com> (Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.)