Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder Terminology
From: "Tony Salce" <NadinaTony@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:14:51 +1000

For someone reasonably new to rangefinders, could someone be so kind as to
explain in simple english, what is meant by the following quote from Dick
Gilcreast's article in the latest edition of Viewfinder, in respect of his
preference of the M3 over the M2:

" In a rangefinder camera the RF needs to have enough base lenght in order
for the indicated focus point to be WITHIN the rather narrow depth of field,
so it made sense for Leitz to design their original M camera around these
two lenses." (ie 50mm and 90 mm- this is my addition)

Could you also explain why the 0.72 magnification is not as good for the
50mm lens as compared with a 35mm lens ? I hope that question makes sense.

Actually I don't fully comprehend ( I am embarassed to admit) the
distinction between the 0.92 magnification of say the M3 and the 0.72 of the
M2.

Your reply would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tony Salce