Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The art of the blanket cake eating statement...
From: "Mike Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:42:16 -0400

Jim Brick was saying:
>Having been doing
> what I talk about for forty years and having the results and sales to back
> them up, I don't feel like re-hashing what is a simple concept that a lot
> of folks just don't comprehend. It's not their fault. They just haven't
> been exposed to the type of photography that requires critical DOF. The
> only way to truly obtain critical focus from some point in front to some
> point in back is to see it. (big snip)

I can't believe this conversation is still dragging on!  Jim is telling it
like it is!

I've spent many hours peering through medium format and 4x5 cameras
carefully adjusting the point of focus to get all of a tabletop set in focus
for product illustration.  Looking at the scene through a stopped down lens
is the only way to tell if everything you want to be sharp is in fact
covered by DOF or in the case of the 4x5, camera movements as well.
Recently I was shooting displays in a cabinet makers showroom with my 6.2
and several different R lenses.  I used the DOF preview on every shot to
make sure that my focus point was correct.  Sure it is a bit dark but you
get used to it.
I automatically check DOF when shooting landscapes to make sure that all
elements that I want in focus, are.
It's just a simple technique that ensures that you get what you want in a
photograph.  It's just second nature to use it.  What is there to argue
about?

Mike Gardner