Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting in Italy
From: khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:20:12 -0400

Dennis,
My wife and I toured Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan in April of this year.
Yes, there are pickpockets and you do have to be careful. I was thge target of a
pickpocket on the Rome subway but my wife spotted the attempt and a very nice
young man accosted the would be pickpocket, twisted her arm back severely which
forced her to drop about $30 US she had extracted from my pocket.

My cameras (Leica and Rolleiflex TLR) were in an obvious camera bag that I held
in front of me. Subsequently I did a lot of very obvious shooting with both
cameras and never once did I encounter a problem. The thing to keep in mind is
not to show off or make a pain in the ass out of yourself. Just keep calm, cool
and collected.

As a matter of  fact while in Venice one gentleman remarked, "Ah, Rolleiflex,
very nice." when he saw my TLR hanging around my neck.

Again, keep calm and don't show off.

Kurt
Ann Arbor, Michigan