Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting in Italy
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:21:04 -0700

At 10:46 AM +0800 9/12/00, Dennis_Thong wrote:
>I am a photojournalist from Singapore. Just rececived an assignment to go to
>Italy, to cover a Singapore cartoonist receciving a world class award on
>this coming Saturday.
>
>I will be shooting at : Fondazione Citta' Di Forte Dei Marmi which is
>Italian Museum of Political Satire and Caricature.
>
>However, I read a lot about pick-pocket in Italy. Will bringing leica-M be
>safe there ?  Help and advises needed. Should I leave the camera in hotel
>and try not to bring them out ?
>
>Has anyone been there ? or any Leica User there ?
>

>>From Singapore LUG,
>Dennis Thong.
>
>Can mail me on: dennis_photo@hotmail.com

Hi Dennis,

I've been in Italy many times; sometimes with quite a bit of gear (3 SLR's,
lenses from 15 to 400 plus multi-body MF) and have not had any trouble as
long as I was reasonably careful about putting things down - and with
cameras, I almost always am.

About 15 years ago, though, we had an 'interesting' experience. We had
bought a car for European delivery, and had scooted around the continent,
and got a hotel just across the road from the Forum. Gorgeous. Parked the
car, took all the valuables into the hotel and went sightseeing (this was
with wife and both kids). Had a lovely evening and retired to our hotel.
Next morning went down to our car. Vent window was broken, very tidily, and
the radio had been removed, also fairly tidily. As it was very hot, my wife
was quite concerned that the air conditioning was still working, and it
was. The loss of the radio was not really serious at this point, but I had
to make a police report to be able to file an insurance claim. I was
pointed towards the nearest station.

Inside, there were two counters:

One, which had about 2 people lined up in front of it, had a sign over it
in Italian and English which said something like "All other police matters".

Two, which had about 25 people lined up in front of it, had a sign over it
in Italian and English which said something like "Foreigners reporting the
theft of their car radio".

This is truly what happened. The moral, obviously, is not to take your car
radio with you to Italy. You can probably buy one at a good price on the
street, though.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com