Subject: Re: [Leica] It's all about M's
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:49:34 -0700

Axel Schwieker wrote:

> This accuracy is of _no_ use if the smallest exposure adjustment you can
> do on a M is 1/2-stop. 1/4 stop shutter+meter accuracy is enough.

I believe the Konica's electronic shutter is stepless.

> If you never shoot in quiet places, this my be true. The motor
> dependability however has another drawback. The Hexar is dead without
> working batteries.

While the shutter is louder than the Leica's, it's a lot quieter than
the shutter on any SLR I've ever used.  And yes, the Konica is dead
without batteries.  However, using both the Konica and the Leica as
complementary bodies, rather than the Konica as a replacement for the
Leica, may make the most sense.  They each have different features and
strengths, sometimes making one a better choice than the other.

> The M6 is a thinking photogs tool, not for the dumb masses. DX is just
> convenience for weekend shooters. Please consider, I shoot most of my
> film at a different rating than its DX encoded ISO number. DX reading
> just gets in the way. A camera without DX override would be useless to
> me.

The Konica has DX override.

> What you _really_ need is a direct manual setting of the ISO speed.

The Konica provides that.

Cheers!
- --
Shel Belinkoff