Subject: Re: [Leica] It's all about M's
From: Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:04:47 +0200

Dante Stella wrote:

> > >  1. better meter
> >
> >     Better how?
>
> Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.  The mechanical shutter and M6TTL meter does
> not deliver the same 1/10 stop accuracy.

This accuracy is of _no_ use if the smallest exposure adjustment you can
do on a M is 1/2-stop. 1/4 stop shutter+meter accuracy is enough.

> > >  2. automatic mode
> >
> >     Handy, but not necessary.
>
> Bullpuckey.  Wrong exposure will seriously screw up the effective
> resolution of the lens.

AE does not ensure correct exposure. It screws up at least just as often
as fully manual with intelligent presetting.

> > >  3. motordrive that works
> >
> >     And is very loud compared to a M.
>
> Nobody has ever heard mine.

If you never shoot in quiet places, this my be true. The motor
dependability however has another drawback. The Hexar is dead without
working batteries.

> > >  7. DX coding
> >
> >      Totally useless.

ACK

> No - forgetting to set your camera for the right EI with slide film is
> disastrous.

The M6 is a thinking photogs tool, not for the dumb masses. DX is just
convenience for weekend shooters. Please consider, I shoot most of my
film at a different rating than its DX encoded ISO number. DX reading
just gets in the way. A camera without DX override would be useless to
me.

>  Of course you really need only DX *or* a clear window - but
> not both.

What you _really_ need is a direct manual setting of the ISO speed.
Well, maybe some brains ;) Nothing more.

Axel

Replies: Reply from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] It's all about M's)
Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] It's all about M's)