Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Why are LTM versions so expensive
From: "M.E.Berube of GoodPhotos.Com" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:15:05 -0400

At 10:55 AM 9/15/00 -0600, John Collier wrote:
>Leica made their last LTM mount camera in 1962 or 3. Even then it
>was a small run, the last large production run would be 1958 or so. You are
>suggesting they should redesign their complete lens range to suit cameras
>they have not produced in forty years?

No. the lenses (if I understand it correctly) can quite easily be changed
(even if it is done slowly over time and by attrition) over to lenses that
are more versatile than those they are making now.

>Leica wanted people to buy M cameras, they wanted to discontinue LTM
>production
>and this was a very reasonable corporate strategy.

At the time, but times have changed a lot since 1962 and we are seeing a
resurgence in LTM interests. My suggestion would allow Leica to capitalize
on even that small resurgence with minimal change in strategy. (1mm
trimming of the mount end from what I gather from a previous post.)

>One gets the impression
>on this list that Leica is completely incompetent. Possibly that they have
>been blowing their money on new liederhosen (sp?) for their workers! Can we
>not at least acknowledge that the M camera was a significant improvement
>over the LTM cameras?

I'm not slamming Leica in any way. In my opinion, they make the best RF
cameras and lenses in the world. I am simply suggesting that an LTM lens
with an adapter which can be used on lots of different cameras is MUCH more
valuable than an M lens that can only be used on one type of camera. (and
this can be available for not much cost and effort comparable to other
changes.)

>  OK. I have been sarcastic.
>Flame away.

Not at all. Thanks for responding.