Subject: RE: [Leica] 35/2 ASPH and pre-ASPH BOKEH
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:18:54 -0400

I own and use both the pre-aspheric and aspheric 35 Summicrons.  Each lens
has its own qualities which you either prefer or not.  Generally, I prefer
the pre-aspheric expression because it is smaller and lighter lens, not
because of some esoteric difference in their image qualities.  At the end of
the day, you would be hard put to tell the difference between the results
produced by the lenses in anything but a bench test.  Of course, I have seen
some absolutely gorgeous bench tests ("Aperture" V-III, #3, 1968).  The
spherical and aspheric do produce DIFFERENT renditions of the out-of-focus
areas, but I would never say that one is better than the other, just
different.

If you were to ask me...and I certainly do not suggest that you ask me...the
better way to choose between the lenses is based upon their size and
relative prices.  For those wandering among us who insist on choosing based
on some technical matter, my pre-aspheric has twelve diaphragm blades and
the aspheric has ten.  Now you can go out and argue whether dropping a
couple of blades was a dreadful economy measure by Leica, or is somehow
related to improved image quality.

	Buzz Hausner