Subject: [Leica] beginner's SLR
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:01:27 -0400

- --Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu

2000-09-18-22:02:04 Thomas Kachadurian:
> The Pentax K1000 is the I don't really know any better so I'll
> recommend it choice. There are far better.

For those who want that new camera smell, I generally mention the
Nikon FM2, but steer folk in the direction of the Yashica FX-3 Super
2000 (all of $150, body-only, at B&H) with a nice Contax-branded Zeiss
50/1.4.

The body isn't an aesthetic dream, but it's surely functional and
great value for the money (thanks to our friends at Cosina, yes?);
and it becomes a backup body to the really sweet Aria should the user
decide to stick with the photographic enterprise and get something
(okay, dramatically) nicer.  Same lens mount as the Contax SLR range,
of course, 'cause the Contaxen are made by Yashica.  The body's main
nagging annoyance is that it provides no way of disabling the way the
meter circuitry is activated by a press on the shutter release, even
when the shutter isn't cocked.  Eats batteries in a bag unless there's
cardboard-fabrication cleverness or the like.

People have whined some about the Zeiss 50/1.4, but I like the way
pictures taken with it look, and it too is good value for the money at
$280 or so.

The Contax lenses make nice pictures and some of them (50/1.4, 28/2.8,
135/2.8, 35/2.8?) are even affordable.  The 85/1.5 is a favorite in some
quarters, but costs a few bucks.

And if I recommended Leica stuff, there are numerous people who'd
think me completely insane the moment they saw the prices.

- --Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu

- --Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu--

Message from Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica- collector's or user's camera)