Subject: [Leica] New old book found
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:57:00 +0100

I came across a really nice book today,

'Israel' by Richard Lannoy. Published by Thames and Hudson in 1958 it
contains 132 lustrous rich gravure plates in a large format (9"x12 1/2").
Quite historical to view now of course. I bought the Magnum offereing
celebrating the 50th anniversary of the country last year and this provides
an interesting counterpoint.
It's rather more casual, less new-sy or battle orientated but far from
being a soft coffee table picture book. I haven't found any text yet
placing it on topic with regard to Lannoy's use of a Leica but on one page
there's a delightful shot of a 50's lady (tourist?) shooting with a Leica
in the foreground, behind here a Centurian tank with its 105mm barrel
points in a similar direction!
Good humanbistic pictures too. It seems he also did a similar volume in
India.
Anyone heard of him?

Jem