Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
From: Austin Burbridge <Austin.Burbridge@Alumni.Brown.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:10:40 -0700

[At last! a Leica subject on which I can speak with experience]

Terry, I was faced with similar choices -- except that I hadn't the
benefit of the LUG.

I wanted a M6 0.72 and a standard lens, to start out with. My budget
constrained me to choose between the Elmar and the Summicron.

In the event, I purchased the Elmar. Although it is a fine lens (even
Erwin Puts likes it!), it is the wrong lens for me. Here's why.

First of all, it really isn't as compact as depicted in sales
materials. It is always shown without its lens hood, but when
collapsed with the hood affixed it is almost as long as the
Summicron.  Leica recommends the hood always be used, both to shield
the lens from stray light, and to guard against fingerprints. Without
the hood, it is difficult to avoid touching the lens.  Given its
maximum aperture of f/2.8, it's likely to be used in fairly bright
light, where the hood would be necessary.

The maximum aperture of f/2.8 would be fine for daylight shooting.
However, everything I like to shoot is in shade, or indoors, or in
the evening, which means that I'm usually stuck with low
shutter-speeds, even with E.I.400 film. Until I tried to live with
the Elmar, I really had no idea how much one extra stop would matter!

By contrast, I this year I got (was finally able to afford) a 35mm
f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. It has made a huge difference -- I can really
take it anywhere and be confident of having enough light. Now I can
really practice 'available light photography'.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose the Summicron!

Hope this helps,

A U S T I N .

Email: austin.burbridge@alumni.brown.edu

WWW: http://sprezzatura.net -- Every day, an original picture, a