Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:45:46 -0700

Terry Sham wrote:

> I would like to buy a M6 TTL 0.72 next week. Because of my tight budget, I
> would like to buy a cheapest lens (I don't like used) with it. I am
> considering a Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 because of its low price and design.
> However, I am concerning about the build and optical quality of the lens
> comparing with the Summicron, Summilix and the Noctilux. I think I will buy
> a Noctilux in the future when I save enough money because I really like
> standard lenses.
>
> Thanks for your inputs
>
> Terry Sham

Buy the best lens for your needs first and then when you get enough money
together get a camera to go with it!
:)
My wife has a Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 in her purse but she didn't get it becuase if
it's cost.
She didn't want a 35mm lens she wanted a 50 and she wanted as much compactness
as possible.
There is lots of used glass options with Leica more so than with other cameras.
Is 50mm your focal length of choice?
It was mine. Still is.
So I got with my first body seven years ago I got Leicas flagship lens, the Summicron.
Now it's got a built in shade.
It's still my most used lens in my fairly complete system.
Someday I'll get the collaspable Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 as well as the Noctilux.
But in the meanwhile I'm shooting mainstream pictures (IMO) (whatever that means)
Mark W. Rabiner
:)