Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 26 Sep 2000 11:48:27 -0700

On Tue, 26 September 2000, "Terry Sham" wrote:

> I would like to buy a M6 TTL 0.72 next week. Because of my tight budget, I
> would like to buy a cheapest lens (I don't like used) with it. I am
> considering a Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 because of its low price and design.
> However, I am concerning about the build and optical quality of the lens
> comparing with the Summicron, Summilix and the Noctilux. I think I will buy
> a Noctilux in the future when I save enough money because I really like
> standard lenses.

If you are trying to save money, I'd look for a used equipment.  Leica cameras are highly serviceable (by qualified technicians, of course) and are very durable.  My 1957 M3 with a DR Summicron from the same era are still superb shooters.

One of the greatest things about Leica cameras is the vast availability of used equipment.  If you are patient, you can probably find a user M2 with Summicron 50 for $1000.  Add a $100 handheld lightmeter, and you're off.

Whereever you can, you should get the best lens possible for the purpose.  It's not that Elmar-M is not a good lens, but consider that a brand new Elmar-M 2,8/50 is hardly less expensive than a new Summicron-M 2,0/50.  The previous generation Summicron-M with a detacheable hood with the same optical computation as the current can be had for as little as $400-$500 with little effort.  These are superb lenses.

A built-in meter is convenient, but hardly necessary for most shooting conditions.  An used M2 is practically equivalent in functionality to M6, save for the built-in lightmeter and the rewind knob.  With an extra $1500 that you then have burning in your pocket, buy a brick of Tri-X or HP-5, and shoot away.