Subject: Re: [Leica] Having a G1 moment
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:42:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/00 7:46:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bmceowen@aol.com
writes:

<< Since I don't want to miss
 the moment I usually prefocus my Leica and wait for the picture. Sounds
 reasonable, huh? Now, wait, this is where it gets interesting . . . You have
 to do the same thing with the Contax.  >>

Prefocusing with the Contax G is not the same simple, precise operation it is
with a Leica M and at least should be with any true RF camera.  In "manual"
mode, the lens can be focused only electronically, using a rotary switch on
the body.  The only indication of focus distance is in the finder, in the
form of LCD's which appear to the left or right of the "focus mark" LCD, then
opposite the mark when focus is achieved.  Alternatively, autofocus can be
used, then disabled after focus is achieved, using a switch.  In that case,
it must be manually re-engaged after the manually focused shot.  Essentially,
the G is a point & shoot with a number of "manual" electronic overrides.  It
is not a true RF camera, nor does it lend itself readily to many of the
techniques most efficiently usable only with a high quality RF body such as
the Leica M.

Joe Sobel