Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 16:30:10 -0400

Gerry -

It was shot on Astia - my favorite color slide film for people.  I did, as
an experiment, carry lots of color negative film on the last trip to
Honduras with exactly that in mind.  I thought I'd be able to use it for
both color and B&W stock, but I was disappointed in the the color negative
film (I used Fuji 400 and 800).   I chose the color negative for the high
speed equivalency to B&W, but the highlights and shadows were grainy and
unpleasant.  It might be possible to carry only color transparency film and
convert to B&W, but I usually need the high speed of B&W and haven't found
a high speed color positive film that I like either.  Probably 85% of the
stock that I sell is color so it would be nice to find a film that I could
use for both!  Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Leically,

Tina

At 12:26 PM 10/1/00 -0400, you wrote:
>What I think is really interesting in this exercise is that the print must
>have been shot originally on some kind of colour stock (Tina may tell us
>what) and that either version could be equally acceptable depending on the
>future requirement for it. This fact brings into question whether shooting on
>b&w stock for digital use has any future at all, or whether it would be
>better to shot everything on colour stock (possibly tranny) and then let the
>end use or maybe the subject matter dictate the format (if that is the right
>word) that it is finally output as.
>
>Gerry
>
>Gerry Walden (UK)
>Tel: (0)23 8046 3076