Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:54:56 -0700

MTomalty@aol.com wrote:
> You gotta know when to use the proper tools and technique.<
>
> Rebuttals anyone??<<<<<<<<

Mark,
Yep!  You're absolutely correct!

However, we do know when to use the tools correctly!  That's a given if
you're an experienced professional photographer or a photojournalist!

On the one hand we are told the technique aspect is the only way to
experience the qualities of a Leica lens.  And if you don't put it on a
tripod, use ASA 25 film, cable release and be down wind in dead calm
air, you will never accomplish Leica perfection!

And that isn't the case at all!  We are photographers more intent on the
quality of content & image as perfectly sharp as possible that a Leica
lens will give under the  "conditions in which we work."  And yes in
many cases there isn't time for tripod nor space to use one.  For
example, at the Olympics photographers are forbidden the use of tripods, period!

Why?  Because there isn't enough room for the 1000's of shooters
squeezed into photo positions, let alone tripods!  It's hand hold or
monopod, like it or lump it!

Does this mean that I have never had nor will ever have sharp, crisp ass
cutting images ever? Because according to the technique espoused of slow
film, tripod and cable release I'll never be able to accomplish it?  And
that's not true at all!

Damn,  it's the rule of the assignment that dictates what is used to
achieve the best images possible and not a controlled technique as being
the be all to end all for picture quality!!

I fear, either I'm getting right off the track here or the years of
experience in using Leica glass have never given me sharp images because
I'm not a tripod kind of guy!.... When I get really old, OK maybe then! ;-)
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant