Subject: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate with a Noctilux?
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 23:18:10 -0400

I find  this debate somewhat entertaining.  Forgetting for a moment that we had
this discussion regarding another vehicle with the same EBL (actually, marginally
higher), and forgetting that even Erwin's computations (before he added the 0.58
column) showed that just about anything can focus a 50mm lens, I come to the
question

Is EBL even relevant, or is it a construct?

This has troubled me for a while.

1.    Start from the principle that if you had 100% magnification, would you
rather have a 41mm BL or a 69.25mm baseline?  Pretty easy - you'd go for the
69.25 as more precise.  With 0.72x finders, there's not much debate that  an M6
is more accurate than a Bessa R.

Move to this thought - a Leica III has the same EBL as an 0.85 M6TTL (around
58mm, if I recall).  Which one has a higher precision rangefinder system?  The
III takes a low-BL rangefinder assembly and cranks up the magnification.  The M6
0.85 takes a long-BL assembly and shrinks it.  The III had a high-precision
mechanism for its day, but to put it bluntly, you're magnifying what is a less
precise system.  I would submit that if your viewing optics were perfect, you're
actually better off shrinking a long baseline (which has more precision) than
enlarging a short one.

So EBL appears be a misleading concept when the RF mag is over 100%, since the
same EBL number could be applied to two wildly different systems.  This is not
even taking into account the fact that the separated VF/RF lacks the vernier
focusing of the split-image.

2.    Change to this comparison.  58 vs. 72 vs. 85 vs. 91 finders.  They are all
identical in all respects related to triangulation.  I think we can all accept
the trigonometry.  By necessity, all raw systems must have the same resolution
(if seen by the theoretically-perfect viewer).

Does anyone have the hard data on is what effect magnification has on the human
eye's ability to focus?  Where does this come from?  Is there a 1:1 relationship
between size and ability to discriminate points?  Or is there some minimum
threshold of visibility after which all point-distance perceptions are close to
equal?

Do we get the same result with complex subjects that "look" to be "in focus"
(that is, scores of simultaneous and instinctive point-matchings) as with simple
point-matching?  It would seem in this neverending debate that the utility of the
EBL function is entirely dependent on the individual and would be hard to reduce
to a formula that could magically determine RF accuracy.

Do the functions Erwin uses reflect an average human resolving ability?  This is
a big assumption in all of the EBL machinations, and it is one he could explain a
little more.  I would assume that there is some biometric average.  But there are
troubling cases: for a user who has astigmatism, is accuracy better through
glasses (which only correct astigmatism in broad strokes) or by the rigid
contact-lens wearer (whose astigmatism is forcibly, perfectly, and completely
corrected).

So in sum, it would look like EBL is a questionable concept for magnifications
over 100%, and that use of EBL for magnifications lower than 100% is really just
a shorthand for accuracy in the hands of an average user, accuracy which may or
may not be reflective of any particular individual.

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate with a Noctilux?)