Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit take apart?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:08:15 -0400

Warning! Danger! Danger Will Robinson!

I thought I'd put this on the list rather than tell you privately in case
there is any one else out there foolhardy enough to take their Summarit
apart....
I know Sherry promised not to tell, so I had better 'fess up my own self!
I took one apart.... Once!
It is a nightmare of itty-biity parts, and there are about a squillion
diaphram leaves that are just BEGGING to spring out on the tabletop. It is
one of tohse heart stopping, gut wrenching experiences, and the first
thought I had was that- to quote my Ole Dad, a job for a "Philadelphia
Lawyer"
I managed to round up the little teeny bits, put them in a safe container,
and sent it to Sherry- and like magic, she fixed it. Since then, I have
bought and sold several Summarits, but have NEVER since been tempted to
clean one my self!!!
Word to the wise- "SEND IT TO SHERRY!"
Word!
If it is even remotely nice- that is a minimum of the so called cleaning
marks, let her clean it. They are rally nice lenses when cleaned, and she
can collimate it at the same time- which helps since the depth of field is
so shallow wide open, that you want the focus to be right on!
So, I 'fessed up- beat me with a knotted Leica Stap, heap abuse upon my
humbled head.... but take the word of a pore unfortunate pilgrim who had
travelled that rough and bumpy road!
Dan ( Chastened, but not entirely chaste....) Post