Subject: [Leica] Re: FOM2
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:09:12 -0400

Dear Alistair,

Your website looks great and I'm enthralled by the ambition of your project.
To that end I'm thinking hard about contributing, but I have some
reservations starting with the name of the project. Perhaps it's already
been hashed out earlier by others, but I'd like to add my two cents
regardless. As much as I like the "idea" of the project, and as much as I
know there will be some fantastic "content" to the project, I still can't
help but feel the project will suffer from the stigma of it's title, and
some people (artists and critics) will want to keep an arms length from it.
It was bad enough that somebody decided the world needed another Woodstock,
but it takes a lot of chutzpah for somebody unconnected to the original
event to pick up the flame for the "sequel." Imagine these same hypothetical
Woodstock 2 promoters issuing a dogmatic "songs must be written and recorded
and performed on Roland Synthisizers" manifesto, and you must anticipate the
sharpening of knives and gnashing of teeth by photographers
(up-to-and-including some Leicaphiles), curators, viewers, critics, etc. who
will claim it to be an unimaginative conceit by an exclusive club. I
recommend that you take the spirit and inspiration of the orignal FOM and
create something entirely fresh and original, even if it's in name only, and
especially if the project is limited to Leica cameras.

Just my $0.02...
Dave Fisher
http://home.golden.net/~tekapo

> > 1. The Name will remain The Family of Man 2 project: LUG
> >
> > 2. At this stage I want to restrict it to leicas. This is the Leica
Users
> > Group, and it is envisaged as a "put your Leica where your mouth is"
kind
> > of project, to get us off our bums and snapping. I also suspect that the
> > project would be "infiltrated" and overrun if it were not restricted in
> > this way, much as I love shooting with my Rollei's etc.
> >
> > 3. I want images that people have gone and and deliberately taken for
this
> > project.
> >
> > 4. I accept that the FOM circa 1955 will have the edge on us in
"talent",
> > but that was a retrospective study, and I'm looking for "fresh,
innovative
> > new millenium" feel, and a look at our society and world. They went back
> > and looked at 2 X 1000000 images, and I'm not intending that many ;-)
> >
> > 5. They had 270 photographers, and I would like to see a similar number
or
> > more participating in this project: that's only 30% of the LUG after all
> >
> > 6. I want widespread and wideranging images
> >
> > 7. I do not want to limit submissions (this is not really a "contest")
for