Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome 64
From: Douglas Cooper <visigoth@cloud9.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:54:22 -0400

After getting loathsome results with K64 in Japan, I thought I'd report in on my first satisfactory roll.  I shot in the exceptionally bright sunlight you get in Manhattan during the late fall and winter, and the colors this time were superb.  No better than Provia F, but nevertheless lovely.  Clearly it's not a film that's happy with overcast days; and it seems better with cityscapes than with greenery.  (In Japan, I was shooting a rural village.)  And it is truly sharp, although again I think Provia F can match it.

I'm still not convinced it's worth the trouble, when I can get E6 processed in two hours.  But I retract my wholesale condemnation.

Btw, I shot the M-Hexanon 28mm into the sun, to see how it would handle flare.  Unbelievable, really.  Only one shot exhibited any sort of flare, and this was almost directly into a low afternoon sun, on one of the brightest days of the year, with  people in the foreground in silhouette.

cheers,

DC.