Subject: [Leica] Re: wedding candids
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:44:46 -0700

I have done two weddings in the last six months, as a favor to close family
friends (two sisters, in fact). One of the shoots paid my way to England for
a week so it was hard to refuse! Yorkshire is very beautiful in February.

I took the photojournalist approach, starting with pictures at the
day-before rehearsal, then the bridal parties getting dressed (no undies
though - too bad . . .), the wedding and on through the reception. I did
pose families and bridal parties for the traditional portraits, but most of
the dozen or so rolls were candids using the Leica M cameras. I used Kodak
Portra 160 and 400 color print film. With a Summilux 50 wide open at f1.4
and around 1/8th to 1/4th second, I took pictures of reception dancing that
they especially liked - totally different from the typical frozen motion,
black-hole-background flash shot.

My favorite time, planned ahead with the bride and groom, was to take them
away from all the festivities during the reception for some portraits. They
usually aren't missed much when the party is going strong, and it gives them
a bit of peace and quiet during a hectic day. It's a time to talk and, at
least for the weddings I did, bask in the glow of love of a beautiful
couple, and take a few relaxed poses. Then I ask the groom's permission to
photograph just the bride a little later, and I return them to the party.

When the bride wasn't surrounded, I would then spend 15-20 minutes just with
her, and got the best portraits of the day. In both cases the brides were
gorgeous, and the camera was a great excuse to spend some time with a
wonderful young lady. The camera is also a great excuse to ogle a beautiful
face without being accused of staring!

Knowing the amount of time and energy that goes into it all has given me new
respect for the photo warriors that shoot every week-end,  and most often
with total strangers. I was exhausted the next day, but had fun with friends
and great families.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger