Subject: Re: [Leica] James Nachtwey and the purpose of modern PJ
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:27:28 -0400

Dan States wrote:

It makes you wonder if that particular stone would get launched if the
cameras were not there...I'm trying to imagine myself as a really ticked off
protestor of...whatever.  Why would I get SO close to a bunch of  gawking
photographers?  Because I know that the stone doesn't do a damned thing, but
my image and the countless other "angry guy throwing stones at guys with
guns and tanks etc." shot never fails to make the news.

(amazing after all these years of the same.  Note to news agencies, I have a
pretty good idea what stone throwing looks like, try something new)

This reminds me of something I witnessed two weeks ago on my way home from work.
I ran into the Day of Rage demonstration by Palestinians in Times Square that had spilled over into streets nearby. What I saw seemed fairly civil as demonstrations go until a photographer with a Leica and flash showed up. Then some of the protestors started to act up for the benefit of the photographer and posed themselves (with the help of the photographer I might add) to express the emotions of rage. I'm sure he got some good photos. They were visually more interesting than a bunch of people milling around and shouting with the police looking bored.

But this is nothing new and it happens all the time. Anyone who has ever been to one of these kinds of events has seen people react to the presence of the press. The images that are portrayed are usually the most dramatic ones, with the unspoken cooperation between the press and protestors. They both have their agenda and they both benefit. Or so they think. Who's using who?

I was hardly noticed with my Leica III and no flash. I guess they didn't think I was a real photographer. Just the way I like it.

Robert

Replies: Reply from Kevin H <kevin@2image.com> (Re: [Leica] James Nachtwey and the purpose of modern PJ)