Subject: Re: [Leica] anchell's books
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:22:24 -0700

><Snip>
> mark & other book-reading luggers:
>
> i recently read anchell's book on variable contrast printing, which i found
> informative, but not too exhaustive (at least not as much as i'd have
> liked).
>
> anybody got any suggestions for reading material on that subject?
>
> guy

I'd guess that is the only book out there on variable contrast printing as I've
extensively looked.

If a book came out especially going in depth on split printing there would be a
niche for it. I've been considering writing one, don't laugh!

Steve Anchell's writings in his excellent small and very expensive variable
contrast book seems to indicate that he really doesn't understand split
printing. And anyone readying it sure wouldn't.
For me who was growing frustrated with the darkroom process a few years back
split printing made everything finally work.
ANd It really makes you realize how wonderful VC paper is.

In effect you do one exposure for the high contrast layer/the blacks
and the next exposure for the low contrast layer/the whites.
But it's the dodging ad burning with that low contrast light which really makes
the process worth it as when you dodge you increase contrast to that area and
when you burn you lower it. And this is what you need it turns out.
Instead of the opposite with graded papers or one filter printing.

I'd go into this further but this is not what the LUG I think is mainly about
but you can see where I'm coming from and how excited I am.

For me it's kept darkroom printing as exciting as Photoshop use!
mark rabiner
who just got Photoshop 6 and is slightly overwhelmed!

Oh and steve does great spicy artsey pix!
check out
http://www.onecachet.com/anchellz.htm

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Pen-FT)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] Pen-FT)