Subject: [Leica] Flash !
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:53:43 -0400

LUG'ers

I'm looking for a small, quality flash I can use on the occasion when I need
some fill flash outdoors. I've been looking over allot of my informal
portrait shots and the shadows around the eyes is somewhat discerning. I've
shunned the use of a flash in the past, but taking a step back and looking
objectively, a little fill would have transformed a few shots dramatically.
I'm willing to suffer through the inconvenience of the slow flash sync and
playing around with a manual flash for the few occasions it's warranted.
Outdoor fill flash is the only thing I'll be using it for, I'm sure.

I'm shooting with a early M2, and I have the sync adapter. Now I just need a
flash I can throw in my bag - something small - similar in size to the SF20,
but cheaper.

This may sound stupid, but with every consumer camera having either a built
in flash or TTL flash metering, do new flashes still have the provision for
sync cords ? Who is manufacturing fully manual non-TTL flashes these days ?
Does Metz offer anything?

Incidentally, I took a small departure from strictly using B&W on my
vacation and included a few rolls of colour - Supra 400 and 160 Portra NC
and VC. This was my first experience w/ Leica lenses and colour film. The
quality is quite remarkable, evident even from 3x5 proofs, but look under a
loupe and wow ! I'm quite pleased with the Supra, but I found the 160 VC was
a bit much for my eye, though. The quality has got me thinking that I might
try some reversal film while there is still some fall colours remaining.

Thanks

William