Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak T400CN
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:48:08 -0400

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:37:26 +1000
> From: "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: [Leica] Kodak T400CN

> I have found T400CN to be a great all-round film for my portraits and
> wedding candids, especially if they are to be scanned. I have great respect
> for the more traditional film and dev combinations, but for sheer ease of
> use and convenience I am very happy with the C41 processed films. I must
> also include Ilford XP2 Super, which is a beautiful film to scan. They are
> virtually grainless up to 20x16 and very controllable in Photoshop.
>
> Am I missing something? Is there something I should know?

I've experimented with the T00CN - probably shooting a dozen rolls or so -
at least half were test shots with different lenses. I too, was lured to
having B&W without the fuss. After speaking with a few locals on the
subject, I think T400CN is akin to a "love it or hate it film" (a-la Tri-X).

Of course, not all processing labs are created equally. This is particularly
evident with the T400CN. I've had absolute horrible muddy looking negs, and
I've had some acceptable ones.

When I drop off the film to a 1 hour place, they ask "Neutral or Sepia".
I've tried both but "neutral" on colour paper has a strange green tone to it
- - very cold to my eye. The Sepia (one occasion) was basically a watered down
fire engine red.

There's a great custom lab where I live (Toronto) that prints the C41 B+W
films on B+W paper, and I've found this is the best combination - but you
never get it in one hour.

Of the two C41's, I think the XP2 super is superior to the T400CN. With both
films, the exposure latitude borders on ridiculous. I've had a few shots
that were so underexposed I think I must have left the lens cap on, but
still, they were surprisingly printable.

But, coming full circle, I've finally admitted to myself that there is no
such thing as excellent B+W with no fuss. So, much to the horror of my new
wife (of now three weeks) I've dug out all my old developing stuff, climbing
into the closet to load the tanks and developing in either in the laundry
room or kitchen ("this wouldn't be such an issue if I was a bachelor" I joke
with my wife). Once the film is dry, I'm renting a darkroom to contact print
for 10$ an hour.

It's inconvenient - but at least I'm pleased with the results - and I
haven't even gotten to printing yet. (I'm just finishing developing and
contact printing the rolls I shot on my vacation). Juggling work and other
commitments, at this pace, it's going to take me months to get a a few
final, selenium toned FB prints, but (to me) it's worth it. (But I'm
forgetting my dream of giving away some framed and matted prints for
Christmas presents.)

If you are getting great results, I'd like to know your secrets. Perhaps
scanning and printing with inkjet or Piezo ink printers lend themselves
nicely to these C41 films. Perhaps someone (inkjet or Piezo users) on the
list could share their experiences ? I'd like to get a film scanner and
Piezo printer in the near future - obviously, for someone in my situation
(no darkroom) - it makes perfect sense.

But I *do* like splashing about in the dark - I'm happy as a clam - after a
long day, it really can be therapeutic.

Kind regards

William

Replies: Reply from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Kodak T400CN)