Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak T400CN
From: "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:50:43 +1000

I should have pointed out that other than the original slide proofs or
prints, all of my 35mm work is scanned on a Polaroid SS4000
and printed on either a Pegasus LED or a Lamda printer. The Lamda will also
take rolls of B&W paper, so I can manipulate the portraits to my liking and
then print them on "real" B&W paper.

Since I began shooting with my M6, I have found that most of my portrait
clients prefer the B&W candid look for their walls rather than the
(beautifully) posed colour work that we were doing since forever. I must say
I still prefer the quality of the larger negatives for colour work.

The only way I can get a virtually grainless print and still have a speed of
400ISO is to shoot with these chromogenic films. I quite often add grain in
Photoshop if it is deemed necessary.

> When I drop off the film to a 1 hour place, they ask "Neutral or Sepia".
> I've tried both but "neutral" on colour paper has a strange green tone to
it
> - very cold to my eye. The Sepia (one occasion) was basically a watered
down
> fire engine red.

Even the professional labs have trouble matching tones on colour paper.

> Of the two C41's, I think the XP2 super is superior to the T400CN. With
both
> films, the exposure latitude borders on ridiculous. I've had a few shots
> that were so underexposed I think I must have left the lens cap on, but
> still, they were surprisingly printable.

I have had only limited experience with XP2 Super, but some of my
photographer friends swear by it and claim it is better than Kodak

> If you are getting great results, I'd like to know your secrets.

No secrets, just scan 'em, Photoshop 'em, put 'em on a disk, send 'em to a
lab and pay the money.

William, if you would like to see some of the results I will email you
privately. Let me know.

Rob Heyman
rheyman@bigpond.net.au