Subject: Re: [Leica] Flat vs curved field, was Focusing the M6
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:27:56 -0700

Jesse Hellman wrote:

> [...]
who have not found it, like Tina, generally use smaller lens openings, and not
at the closest distances. I wondered if the effort to correct for flat field for
a RF lens is going astray, and that some field curvature can actually be helpful
for those of us who do not shoot walls.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Jesse lad,

You're sweating bullets over diddly squat and wasting good brain effort thinking
about things like this.

Particularly when your talking to people like Tina who probably has shot more
images at f 1.0 than most folks on the LUG all put together at the same time.
And to even hint that she uses smaller openings when she's our Queen Mother of
the Noctilux is an insult,  not to mention that you maybe the only shooter who
doesn't shoot walls. Or whatever that was supposed to mean!

Steady lad. Like I say,  you're beating a dumb ass thing here and not listening
to what some of us tell you how to correct it through our experience.  We shoot
this wide open stuff on a regular basis and have never gone through this mind
bending quandary you're doing.!

diminishes
the value of the widest apertures. It 's another reason to use faster film
and so be able to use F2.8 instead of F1.4. How often do we put the subject
right in the center? I discovered this early with my Summilux 50, and
noticed that I did have to correct to get portraits sharp. It is curious to
me that this issue has not been widely discussed.<<<<<<<<<

How often do we put the subject dead centre?  Well pretty rarely, as it's
generally a lousy compositional thing.

Quite simply Jesse, it doesn't seem anyone else has this problem or otherwise it
would have been top of the hit list parade at sometime or other.

I'm sure one of the super techie types will come up with a very technical reason
of why it happens, however not likely will it correct your situation, as theory
things rarely correct real life picture taking..

ted

Replies: Reply from "Kam" <kamm@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Flat vs curved field, was Focusing the M6)
Message from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> ([Leica] Flat vs curved field, was Focusing the M6)
Message from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Flat vs curved field, was Focusing the M6)