Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin's figures on hand held resolution
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:03:08 GMT

For some time the figure of 40 lp/mm has been used as a typical maximum
achievable through hand held photography.

Question:  Has this actually been verified by through consistent and
repeated tests? IS 40lp the consistent maximum a hand held camera can
achieve?

Certainly there are occasions where hand held photography DOES exceed this
level...indeed the level of resolving power of any current lens.

Can we say that a hand held photo shot on an R8 on 100 speed TMAX developed
in XTOL with a shutter speed of 1/2000 at F4 has maximized the the
capabilities of the lens/film?  Certainly these are not unreasonable
conditions!  Any shooter can achieve this shutter speed/aperture combination
any sunny day.

SO it is safe to say that maximum optical quality CAN be achieved on a
regular basis (IF the conditions of enlargement are also exact).  This would
indicate that MANY people ARE currently experiencing this level of
reproduction.  If so, they will have probably have quality standards far
above the 20mb level discussed.

I think a good part of the controversy stirred by the "tripod" discussion is
based on the feeling by many that they really DO achieve maximum available
quality in their photographs (technical quality), and that telling them they
did not defies their own experience.

Based on the possibilities of Leica lenses used at very high shutter speeds
I would say that they are many times correct.

Best wishes
Dan States
Madison WI